Tuesday 9 April 2013

Detective story




I have spent over 2 years uncovering the story of Isabella, a young Edinburgh woman who served as a doctor during the First World War. I have made many failed attempts to write it down in book format, but at last these few weeks of Arts Council of Wales sponsorship have inspired a way forward, and, despite my indecisive and prevaricating nature, I’ve come up with a way of telling Isabella’s story that I think will work, and I hope will be fun for people to explore.


I set myself some parameters: 




It had to connect with ordinary people, not just gallery going artists, people like the ladies from the over 50s exercise class who grumbled when my show at The Gate in 2005 came down.

It had to be portable, so it could visit a space for a short time - a school, library, community group, gallery, museum. 

It had to involve the voices of real twenty-first century people.


It had to involve stitching. Isabella was brought up to sew a fine seam and ended up stitching men.


It had to allow other people to take part, making it a celebration of womanly achievement, not merely the story of one woman.


It had to convey the sense of excitement that I’ve experienced while doing the research to uncover the story.


As a story, it had to create the opportunity for people to talk, tell their own stories and respond.


So my version of Isabella’s story will be multi-media, including textiles, artist’s books, audio, photography and what might loosely be called film.


To give away any more would spoil the ending, but I’m looking for:


artists who might be interested to chat or collaborate
Scots who might read voiceovers
groups or classes who might like to play a small part
places that might like to show the work


I’ll be in Edinburgh 15-18th April, and London 22nd - 26th. The rest of the time I’m in South Wales. Anyone out there? Get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment